Friday, October 30, 2009

Run Forrest, Run!

Today is the first time Lauren and I have gone running in over two weeks. UGH! That just sounds awful, and I didn't even say it out loud. She and I were both sick, and everyone knows that running in the cold while sick is not an excellent idea.

We looped around North Campus. Sort of. Ran just under a mile, and then finished it off by walking just a bit to get some more mileage under our belt. January 17th is coming up SO quickly. It makes me nervous to think ahead. I'm actually going to do this though. I want, no, I need to be a better runner. For myself, but also for my family. I feel like I have something to prove to them, even if I don't.

Ever since I was little, I was always the dancer in the family. My grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins would come see my dance shows, and we'd always go out for dinner afterward. It was great being the cute little one that everyone loved. In middle school, I stopped dancing competitively. I didn't have the time, and the drive to rehearsals was a bit longer due to our move. Since then, I've been the one that doesn't play a sport. Granted, my aunt and cousin have both run half and full marathons, so my running a half doesn't sound like that big of a deal. But it is. To me.

I'm doing this for myself. And for Lauren. I'll be 20 years old in just over a week [whoa!], and I don't want to look back at pictures and crinkle my nose at the face that stares back at me. No, I want to be fit and look like it. Even if that requires me to eat better and exercise on a daily basis. This is the time in my life where I get to be selfish and do what Michelle wants to do within reason. I want to be skinny, and run a half marathon. Here I go. Watch me succeed.

No comments: